OnePlus 7 Pro – One Year Later (My Favorite Android Device Of All Time)!
Today, we get to talk about a device that has cemented its place as my favorite Android device of all time! The OnePlus 7 Pro!
The OnePlus 7 Pro came out a little over a year ago and I ordered it the second it was available. I was intrigued by the complete edge-to-edge screen, the 90hz display, and the pop-up camera. I’m not a huge fan of selfies and I hate having a notch or pinhole getting in the way of my screen. The pop-up camera was both innovative and smart, and it was exactly what I needed!
The 7 Pro was released on May 17th of 2019. The base model came with 6GB of LPDDR4X RAM and 128GB of UFS 3.0 storage. The top of the line version came with 12GB of RAM and 256GB of storage. The phone was powered by a Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 processor and a 4,000 mAh battery. The screen was a 6.67-inch Fluid AMOLED QHD+ display with a resolution of 3120×1440, a 19.5:9 aspect ratio, and a 90Hz refresh rate. And that’s just the tip of the iceberg! You get all of that for between $700 and $750.
Now that we’ve got that geeky stuff out of the way, let’s talk about what it is that makes this my favorite Android device of all time. I could probably talk about it all day, so in the interests of time, I’m just going to touch on my top five things.
- The first thing is most definitely the display. As we said earlier, it is an edge-to-edge screen, there’s no notch, no pinhole, just a pure beautiful screen. It is sharp, vivid, and fluid. The default resolution is a QHD+ 3120×1440 but can be lowered to FHD+ 2340×1080 to save on battery life. The screen looks amazing at both settings but looks especially good at the QHD+. The best part? The 90Hz refresh rate! The phone comes with both 60Hz and 90Hz. In a previous video, I reviewed the 120Hz Razor Phone and I wasn’t very nice to it. The screen looked good but there wasn’t anything that could utilize it. With the 7 Pro, the 90Hz was rolled out at a time when there are more apps supporting the refresh rate and the implementation was perfect! It’s hard to go back to any other device after using this one and it’s all because of the amazing display!
- Next on my list is the pop-up camera. I was a bit worried about this one because any time you add mechanical parts to a device, it increases the likelihood of something breaking or being damaged. Despite those concerns, I haven’t had any problems with mine and I haven’t heard any reports of anyone else having issues either. OnePlus was aware that it could be a risk and they included a setting that retracts the camera if the phone is dropped. It works amazing! I did say before that I don’t take a lot of selfies but when I do, it’s nice to be able to just point at the pop-up and tell everyone to look there. No more selfies with people looking cross-eyed because they were looking at the wrong end of the phone! However, the best thing about the pop-up camera is that it leaves that screen completely open and ensures nothing gets in the way of my display. And if nothing else, the pop-up camera always makes for a good conversation piece.
- The next thing would be the updates and the customization options that OnePlus gives us. There are a lot of manufacturers out there that put out a phone and then never update it. Or if they do update it, the updates are few and far between. Then more often than not, they are just security updates with no new features. OnePlus has done an amazing job of providing ways to customize your phone and keep it up to date at the same time. They’re always adding new features and improving the phone over time. If you’re looking to customize your phone even more, I would recommend you check out the Renovate Ice ROM on XDA. Mwilky has done an amazing job of supporting the device and has created a custom ROM that makes the 7 Pro even more powerful and customizable! Check it out here: Renovate Ice ROM
- The fourth thing would be the camera. OnePlus cameras have always been good but they’ve not always been great. They could do the job and do a decent job but it wasn’t until the 7 Pro that I feel like they really figured it out. The 7 Pro takes amazing shots day or night. It produces some of the best pictures I’ve ever taken and it’s my go-to phone for pictures.
- Last but not least is the battery life. The 4,000 mAh battery gives me enough battery to get through nearly two full days with regular usage. About the only time the battery goes faster than usual is during heavy gaming. Even then, it’s nothing too crazy. The good news is that with OnePlus’s 30W Warp Charge, I can charge the phone from 0-100 in less than 90 minutes!
Now those are just four of the things I love about the 7 Pro. There’s a LOT more that I could go on about! I like the feel of it, the weight, the notification slider, the dual speakers, and more! I could keep you here all day but I’m not going to do that to you.
If you’re like me, you’re probably saying that this phone sounds too good to be true. $700 and all of this? Well yes, there are a few trade-offs and there are things that I wish it could do better. I wish it had wireless charging, I wish that the fingerprint sensor was a little faster, yes, I miss face unlock, and I wish that it came with Always On Display. Even with those minor annoyances, this phone is an amazing phone and I absolutely would recommend it!
When the OnePlus 7 Pro came out one year ago, it was a steal at $700! Fast forward to one year later, and it is still worth every penny! And if you’re looking to save money, OnePlus has it on sale right now! Check out the links below to order one for yourselves. As an added bonus, if you use our link, it will get you $10 off gear and accessories!
OnePlus: OnePlus.com (be sure to use this link for a $10 discount on gear and accessories)
Amazon: Amazon – OnePlus 7 Pro