Just the other day some news came out that made my son’s day. Mojang had just released an update to Minecraft Pocket Edition that he had long been waiting for. Initially the update was only available via the Amazon App Store but has since rolled out to the Google Play Store as well.
The update my son was most excited for was the ability for network games to now be played across multiple platforms, he can now play on my tablet while his sister plays on my phone and Daddy gets to use the PC running the Minecraft Windows 10 Beta and we can all play at the same time.
I did find the interface with the Windows 10 Beta to be a little bit frustrating. It keeps to a default key configuration and when I play games I like to customize and set up my own configurations. Once I adjusted to the layout we were able to start having fun and had plenty of adventures.
The other feature we were most excited for was that the Minecraft Pocket Edition now has the Nether! Previously only the desktop version of Minecraft contained the Nether. The Pocket Edition came with a watered down Nether where you created some sort of reactor that summoned a bunch of Nether monsters and then went away after a short amount of time. Now we can run around in the Nether, fight Nether monsters and build in the Nether.
The one thing missing from the update was the ability to complete Redstone circuits. Once we have that my son and I might switch 100% over to the Pocket Edition and forego playing on the desktop.
- The Nether and all its inhabitants. Fight Ghasts and make friends with Pigmen
- Cross platform play for up to five players between Pocket Edition and Windows 10
- Revamped touch controls, controller support, and a controller mapping screen
- Enhanced Weather effects! Accumulating snow and more
- Ocelots! Try taming one with a fish
- Experience, Anvils, Brewing, and enchantments. Time to up your game, crafter
- Golems. We recommend you approach with caution
- Flower pots. We recommend you fill them with flowers
- Sneaking and sprinting! Express yourself through movement!
- Loads of bug fixes that are too boring to list here
- Lots, lots more!
Sourcelinks: Amazon App Store | Minecraft PE Wiki